Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Denver International Airport.

So on my way back from Colorado for my friend's wedding, our car dropped off Josh D. at the Denver International Airport. This airport is perhaps the creepiest, weirdest airport in the world. My friend Josh and I began talking about the airport and how there were some weird "rumors" about the airport. Mainly the rumor about the "underground military base" built underneath the airport.

I know, it sounds absolutely ridiculous and you are probably thinking that I am a crazy person for even blogging about it, but here me out for a quick 5 minutes. I am not saying that there is or isn't a "underground base" in Denver, all I am saying is that this airport is really strange, and so are the ideas and dimensions surrounding it.

I am not an expert in this field, but I did a little research about the airport. Here are some of the weird things behind the world's 11th most busiest airport.

  1. It was built in 1995. To replace the Stapleton Airport. The initial budget for the airport was 1.7 Billion dollars. The final budget for the airport ended up being 4.8 Billion dollars. that is 3.1 BILLION dollars over budget. Interesting...
  2. The airport sits on 34,000 acres of land or 53 square miles. The majority of which is currently unused, but is there just in case of the need for expansion.
  3. The "Great Hall" is 900ft by 210ft, creating 1.5 million feet of space.
  4. That weird looking roof that is suppose to look like the Rocky Mountains is made of 15 acres of Teflon-coated, woven fiber glass. This reflects 90% of the sun's light and does not conduct heat.
  5. The Murals/Paintings in the DIA are exceptionally weird and disturbing. Google them and take a look (or click the link to look at one of them).
  6. Finally, (because you are probably getting bored, not because I have run out of information) there is a Masonic Capstone in the Denver International Airport. This is not that unusual. There is one for the White House, the Capital building, etc etc. However the text on the capstone is a little weird as well as the fact that there is a time capsule in the stone to be opened in 2094. (The text calls the buildings and contributors the: New World Airport Commission). Interesting...
Again, this blog isn't me saying there is or isn't a base under the airport. I'm simply saying that there is some weird stuff going on in the Denver Airport. Also, I ran in to take an emergency pit stop when we dropped Josh off, I snapped a picture of the inside! Gotta love Minnesota's own, Caribou Coffee!

much love.

1 comment:

Katy said...

Hey, A friend of mine had some of the same thoughts and took her camera the next time she went to the airport. Did you know there are also acres of solar panels being built at the airport on some of the previously unused acreage?